So you’ve sealed the deal? Now it’s time to countdown to moving day! Here’s our handy checklist to help keep you on track…
Ten weeks to go…
- Choose your removal or van hire company checking their insurance.
- List paperwork that needs to be done before you move.
Eight weeks to go…
- Draw a floor plan of your new home and look at your furnishings and how they fit.
- Tell your GP and dentist that you’re moving. If you’re a pet owner, tell your vet too.
Six weeks to go…
- Talk to your home insurer about transferring coverage to your new home.
- If you’re not using professional removers, now is a good time to ask friends to help.
- If you need new furniture or carpets order now and arrange delivery for when you move in.
Five weeks to go…
- Think about what you could pack early, items that aren’t used a lot e.g. Christmas decorations.
- If you’re packing some items yourself, start gathering boxes, you will need more than you think!
Four weeks to go…
- Arrange connection/disconnection dates with utilities in both locations.
- Inform your employer of your move, confirming whether you require time off work.
Three weeks to go…
- If you have newspapers and/or milk delivered call your newsagent and/or dairy with a cancel-by date and sign up for deliveries at your new address.
Two weeks to go…
- Hire a cleaner to do a final-sweep cleaning job once the house is empty.
- Arrange for Royal Mail to redirect your post.
- If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during the move.
- Notify your bank/s of any changes to direct debits and standing orders.
- Advise your solicitor so they can ensure all completion money will be ready.
- Change of address with:
- Bank/Building Society, insurance companies and credit card companies.
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing (DVLA) and mortgage lenders.
- Inland Revenue, Local Council Office, Social Security Office.
- Finalise arrangements with your removal or van hire company.
- Collect up all keys for your existing property.
- Make sure loft, garden shed and other storage places have been cleared out.
- Arrange a time to collect the keys for your new home.
- Hold a car boot sale or sell online to get rid of all that stuff you don’t want to move
- Start packing non-essential items into boxes.
One week to go…
- Send out change-of-address announcements to family and friends.
- Plan meals for once your dishes are packed and your fridge is empty.
A few days to go…
- Defrost fridge and freezer.
- Complete packing except for clothing and overnight toiletries needed for the moving day.
- Turn off the central heating and all electrical appliances.
- Check all storage spaces and lock all windows and doors.
- Leave keys as arranged with new owners.
- Make a note of gas, water and electric meter readings.
- Eat breakfast! You’re going to need fuel for the busy day ahead.
By Jacob White